Summary: Luckie ate a leaf off a bouquet of lilies I bought. Lots of varieties of lilies are poisonous to cats. This one made her drool and froth at the mouth for an hour, before she finally puked it up. Afterward she was fine.
Something is up wth Luckie and I'm worried :(
I was getting ready for bed around 12:30 or so when I heard her yelp in the other room. I ran over to see if there was some obvious problem but didn't see anything. Then a few minutes later I noticed her walking around making these weird faces, like opening and closing her mouth. I thought she had something caught in her mouth or throat. It took me around a half an hour, plus watching her do it more and more, to get hold or her and look. Couldn't find anything in her mouth like a string or cut or plastic.
So I started to read, still observing her, and noticed some little thing fall out of her mouth. I didn't have my glasses on so I went to look at it was a gob of frothy saliva. Then I saw her drop another one across the room. She went into the office then so I corner her, closing the door behind me. Indeed she was totally frothing at the mouth. Whipped her into the bathroom then, doors closed again, to look more and wipe off her mouth. Still can't see anything outwardly wrong.
Now she's stalking around the house probably generating more spit and meanwhile growling at curious Harry, basically saying "Leave me ALONE!" I am going to go scope around the main room to see if I can find anything out she might have eaten or bit into or something.
UPDATE : Oh no. I think I know what she could have eaten. I just got a couple bunches of lilies from Publix. Luckie is crazy about eating greens and I bet she went on the table and tried some. Or there was a leaf or flower on the floor. This is, um, BAD, since upon referral, I see that lilies can be deadly to cats
! Ingestion can cause kidney failure. Given the time and the fact that the only 24/7 vet I know of is in Gwinnett County, I have no clue what I can really do. What I will do is probably get up way early, like at 6, and check on her, then take her in to my vet ASAP.
UPDATE 2: Well, good news! Just heard some puking noises and found Luckie has upchucked what appears to be a chewed up lily leaf. With a lot of foamy spit around it. Since the bulk of it will not be going to her kidneys, hopefully she will be OK. However, going to put the flowers somewhere far away (take them to work!) and still going to get up and see how she is in the morning. And THANK GOD Harry didn't eat any. He doesn't like greens, however.
UPDATE 3, 1:40: No further frothing.
UPDATE 4, 1:55: Luckie doesn't seem in any distress now, is alert, not frothing or choking or growling. I have found out there's actually an emergency (nights and holidays *only*) vet in downtown Decatur, which is good to know.
UPDATE 5, 3:32: Woke up and took opportunity to check on Luckie. Found her playing in the living room, quite alert and happy, purring even. OK, that's good...
UPDATE 6, 4:58: Luckie still good. Harry, who likes to sleep on top of Pell (the bird)'s cage, just gave her night terrors. Had to get up and uncover her. He now continues to make a ruckus bothering the bird. Because he can't have me SLEEPING, can he?
UPDATE 7, 7:58: Luckie definitely fine, energetic, playful, hungry. So... phew!