1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
- Took a train through the Alps
- Went to Verona, Bologna, Alexandria
- Posted 2000+ photos to DeviantArt
- Started two different Art Deco projects -- DeviantArt group and Tumblr blog
- Joined Tumblr & got really into it
- Got a MacBook Pro and an iPad via work
- Went without a working TV for 6 mo.
- Accidentally paid my mortgage to the wrong payee - twice!
- Had an airline lose my luggage
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't remember what I vowed but I did lose 50 lbs. and managed to get finances in better order, so I can safely assume that yes, I hit a few of them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My coworker Quinn and his wife Edith had a lovely baby girl.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, but my guinea pig YinYang died this fall at 7 yrs. old.
5. What countries did you visit?
Germany and Italy. Passed through Charles de Gaulle and Austria too.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
More books read.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Nov. 21 - Dec. 1 was my big Europe vacation so probably that.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Lost 50 lbs via an intense weight management program offered at Emory. Next to that, sought & benefited from intense psych counseling for my depression & anxiety. It was a good year for my health.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Spent too much money when I should have been repaying debts.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
As usual, wasn't sick at all. A whole bunch of bodily aches & pains went away when I lost weight. My right hip is still bothering me but I think it'll hold out.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Besides plane tickets? Um... Well, I got some awesome shoes! Also orthotic inserts that make walking much less uncomfortable. I would say my laptop or iPad except my work bought it.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Caleb was very nice & largely well-behaved. He gave me a lot of space, which I appreciated, even if the reasons were not so great.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Politicians and corporate "citizens."
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and other fun debts.
15. What were you really, really, really excited about?
Art Deco architecture. I started two different Deco groups online and love finding stuff, posting stuff, taking pictures, sharing info.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Probably something by Lady Gaga. (Nothing else I listened to was "current" music.)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) Happier or sadder?
Happier. (Ah, therapy!)
b) Bigger or smaller?
Quite a bit smaller.
c) Richer or poorer?
Richer I guess.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Read a lot more books.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Went up to Massachusetts to hang out with my parents and family.
21. What was your favourite month of 2010?
Went to Europe in November so I guess... November? But generally my favorite month in September. Best weather.
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?!
23. What were your favourite TV programmes?
My DirectTV service was out for around 6 mo. so for that time, I didn't watch anything. However, before and after that, I watched a lot of medical & animal shows, everything from Dr. G: Medical Examiner to Dog Whisperer to Untold Stories of the E.R.
24. How will you ring in the New Year?
Spent last night with my parents up in Massachusetts. We watched Hope and Glory, some local news, then ABC coverage of Times Square ball drop.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
Dreams of Dark and Light , amazing short story anthology by Tanith Lee
27. What were your greatest musical discoveries?
Stepping Out, a 1950s jazz album by Fred Astaire.
28. What did you want and get?
Wanted and desperately needed a new laptop -- and my work got me one, a MacBook Pro, loaded, without me even putting in a request. My boss read my mind!
29. What did you want and not get?
Magical debt relief!
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
I only saw three "new" movies and only one (Avatar) in the theater. I enjoyed Avatar, parts of it blew me away, but afterward was thinking how the story is really simplistic and trite. I saw Toy Story 3 and Despicable Me on a plane trip and thought they were "OK' but didn't touch me much. I'd give them both a B-.
31. What did you do on your birthday?
Went to Washington, D.C., for a long weekend with Caleb!
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Magical debt relief! I'm telling you, that's what I need!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
1930s. Hat, fur coat, gloves, red lipstick, bob haircut, rhinestones, cute dresses.
34. What kept you sane?
Therapy and my cats.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Many many many. On local level, Downtown Atlanta street renaming nonsense. On national level, partisan politics, DADT, health care reform, BP oil disaster. On international level, Haiti disaster.
37. Who did you miss?
My friend Daniel, who hasn't spoken to me in over a year now. There's not a single day I don't wish we were still talking. (The not talking thing wasn't my choice.)
38. Who were the best new people you met?
I should have a peppy answer here but I'm blanking. It's getting late...
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
I can effect change in my own life.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up 2010.
"Just a second,
It's my favorite song they're gonna play
And I cannot text you with
A drink in my hand, eh"
- "Telephone" Lady Gaga